January 09, 2011

I always find the beginning of a new year really difficult. It seems like there is always so much to think about and process. This year it was particularly difficult because the year ended so quickly. I feel like it was Christmas and New Year before I was ready for it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I was so ready for a holiday, but where did the year go? I don't think I have really had a chance to really reflect on the year at all and to be honest, I can't really remember much about the details of this year!!

In summary, things I'm thankful for:
- real friends
I feel like there are at least a couple of people who are really my friends. I have one girl here who is a friend too, but there is something much deeper and more meaningful when the people are Christians.

- relationship with God
Now I can say that I really have a relationship with God again. I need to pray and read the Bible and establish some sort of routine where I am spending time with God daily. I did that over the holidays and it was so beneficial. I totally felt the difference.

- a church and small group
OK, so my church isn't perfect, but which one is? And my small group is a little too big. But I have a place to go that has great teaching and I have a small group where I have people who care about me.

- an accountability partner
We haven't been able to meet as regularly as we would have liked because of work and she has to travel for work a lot, but the times we have met have been really great and I know there is a real desire to pray for each other and build each other up in the Lord.

- legal status as a freelancer
It was great that Thomas helped me so much to sort out the pension insurance and I had help establishing my health insurance. Now I have nothing to worry about in terms of the legality of my position. Phew!

Things to pray for for this year:
- tax situation
There is a weird situation with my last employer where basically I was lied to and it seems I have evaded taxes for the last 2 years. I have had a tax adviser for the last few months who has been helping me and he suggested that it might be cheaper for me to pay the taxes back to the UK. I can't go into much detail here, but I have written to the UK tax authorities and have heard nothing as yet. I think my best bet would be to fill in a couple of self-assessment forms for the last 2 years and go from there. But I'm facing a bill of at least £3,500. I don't know where the money will come from and I hope I'll be able to pay it back in installments.

- work
I have 'contracts' with four different schools. It would be great if they offered me more work and I can have more courses with them, as that would mean a little bit of stability. God has been really good for the last couple of months, where I sometimes had almost too much work. It would be great this year to get to a point where I don't constantly have to worry every month about having enough money to live. Praise God I always have enough money to pay my bills and rent!!

- deeper relationship with God and knowledge of the Bible
I would really like to grow closer to God this year and be even closer to the woman He wants me to be. My aim is to be like Ruth, who submitted to God's will, patient, gentle and obeyed without question. Also, would like to make a commitment to read the Bible - not necessarily study it - but read it. I haven't done that for ages. There is something so uplifting to your spirit just reading or listening to the Bible.

Those are the main things I guess. Feel a little better having taken at least a brief look at my life over the last year and the year ahead. God bless you this new year and I hope He will bless you with a deeper knowledge of Him and His ways. :)

No comments: