June 03, 2012

Sabbath rest

Over the last few weeks, I've been so busy and haven't had time to properly rest. I mean like a day where I can sleep in and not have to do much else. I know this probably sounds like hell to a lot of people, but though I am outgoing, I am introverted. I need time alone and sufficient amount before I can charge my batteries. I haven't had that time for weeks and I won't have it again until the end of June. That prospect is giving me anxiety. None of the things that have filled my schedule are things I can say no to.

The biggest burden is work. My timetable is full, which is good because I need the money to pay my bills and it's hard to say no when you are a freelancer. Because it takes up almost all my time and energy, I have very little to give when there are fun things or necessary things like church and bible studies. 

I have been told many times that God created the Sabbath because he knew we would need a day for us to charge our batteries. He knew that without this one day, we would only be running on empty and that ultimately wouldn't be good for us. He also created it so that we could spend time with him. Our schedules are hectic and our daily devotion times may not be sufficient to charge our spiritual batteries. He knew that if our energy levels were low and our 'spiritual' levels are low, we would be prone to attack from the enemy.

I would just like to advise you to take that time to rest physically and especially take the time to rest in God. Take it from someone who is suffering as a result of very little rest. You may be someone who can go a long time with an empty battery. You may be someone who gains anergy from being with people. Nevertheless, take that time to have a day of rest and spend that time with God. You will definitely benefit from it. Don't be like me and learn it the hard way. God created it for a reason. Trust him and take him at his word.

No comments: