March 04, 2007

The girl who had cancer and still smiles

This time last year, I was recovering in hospital. The weekend nurses were horrible and they also kept promising that I would be moved to one of the ward rooms instead of being in the ward you went into after an operation - recovery? Anyway, I had had my catheter removed and could walk up and down the ward. I could even bathe myself - amazing! I remember being in such a bad mood though because I felt better and just wanted to go home. I know Drs Davis and Burton were surprised that I was well enough to go home only 4 days after major surgery, but I was stubborn and I was determined to go home. Plus, the food was horrible in Ward 24 and they hardly gave you any vegetables or fruit - not even fruit juice in the morning! I had such a big craving for fruit juice when I got out. :-) The thing that amused me about having my catheter removed was that I forgot what it was like to need a pee. Also, for a couple of days, I couldn't pee without the tap running! Heehee!

I can't believe it was all only a year ago! It feels so strange, but I'm so glad it's over. I really hope it doesn't come back!

No comments: