November 25, 2005

Yuki


On trying to find a Japanese word for snow, I came across a couple of words that mean more than just snow - I guess depending on the context they are used in. The first word is 'kousetsu', which primarily means 'sexual intercourse'. Hmmm... Interesting... Will try not to use that word EVER, as Japanese culture has a big focus on politeness and "face", I'd rather avoid being impolite and lose face myself, cos it can't be restored once you lose it... EEK!

Anyway... The next word is 'tenka'. This word has several different meanings inluding snow, such as 'second marriage', 'ignition', 'descent from heaven' and also 'fire caused by lightning'!! 'Yuki', however, though it can also mean 'going', primarily means snow, so I chose that. Lovely!

So, back to Yuki: Isn't it lovely? I passed Queen's Park - as in the actual park! - this morning on the way to work and it was sooooo beautiful!! The view I saw was snow falling on a semi frozen pond, surrounded by swans and other white swim-flying birds that aren't sea-gulls, with some bare and evergreen trees all around it. Isn't God so good? It just made me so happy to start the day with such simple and yet amazing beauty. :-)

I was going to leave you with a Japanese word for today, but you've already had 3, so that might just be too much for your poor wee brains!

No comments: