July 19, 2006

Swimming and Old Men

So, as many of you know, I have a new hobby - swimming. I've really enjoyed it and would like to go everyday, but for some reason or other haven't managed more than 3 days a week, which I know is good in itself. Anyway, I couldn't help remarking to myself that I always seem in some way or another to annoy the old men that almost certainly share the slow lane with me. I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's because I swim faster than them? Or maybe they can't work out why a young person is in the same lane as them? And as for the Asian old men, I think they're just bewildered by me, a bald, Asian, young woman. I don't think there are many of us, if any - other than me, of course. I am still amused though that everytime I've gone swimming, I've annoyed or bewildered at least one old man. And to be honest, they're sometimes the ones at fault...

As for the old women that end up in that lane, they are no trouble at all. They don't seem to bat an eyelid about me. But then, there are hardly ever women in my lane. I think I remember 3 that stayed there the whole time. Most of them move. Mainly because of the Asian old men; they tend to hog the lane a little and most of time they don't swim, but rather gather at one end or the other - the deep end is their favourite - and talk. I just stay cos I'm stubborn, and it's also easier to swim multiple lengths when it's continuous - for me, at least.

Anyway, if all is well, I shall go tomorrow morning as well. Who knows who I'll annoy tomorrow?

Oh, I had my first check up since chemo yeaterday. Everything was fine. They did a blood test, but I expect that I won't get any results unless it's bad news. I found out that there's an 80% chance that the cancer will re-occur within the first year after chemo, if it is going to re-occur at all. That's why they want to see me every month, so they can catch it early. After the first year, there's an 85% chance that it won't come back at all. Oh, and I think this is just true for the type of tumour I had - the germ cell tumour. So, there you go. Let's see what this year brings. I suppose chemo won't be as long as before this next time, but it'll be so annoying to put off Japan again and have nothing to do. Ah well... You have to do what God wants. Anyway... I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steph, I think that when you write your memoirs, "Swimming and Old Men" should be the opening chapter. Don't shrug off the idea! Southern women, for instance, write their memoirs left and right. I remember reading this good one in a Southern Lit class my freshman year called "A Girl's Life: Horses, Boys, Weddings and Luck." I liked it so much that I bought it for my mom, but she never read it, which kind of ticked me off. And now I think I'll end this post before it gets even more random.