April 21, 2010

Time is passing really quickly! I can hardly believe that it's almost the end of April already! But I'm happy because it means pay-day is soon. :D

I thought I should give you all a wee update since some of you might be praying for me and might want to know what's been happening. I'll start with the Kindergarten situation: I went for an interview at the beginning of March and 2 weeks ago I had an observation. They told me - as I expected - that they couldn't give me a full-time position because I didn't have an Early Childhood Studies certificate, but that I fulfilled all the requirements for a part-time position. Unfortunately, Laura is only one of the teachers and so the final decision is not up to her, though she does seem very keen to hire me. As yet, I have still to hear anything, so I'm getting a little anxious. Although I'm not entirely happy with the set-up there, having a part-time job there will take care of my social security and will give me a guaranteed income every month, which I can supplement with freelance teaching. Also, the hours mean I no longer have ridiculously early starts and it's not very far away from my flat at all - only 20 mins by public transport. All of these make it ideal, so I guess I feel like maybe I won't get it cos it'd be too perfect... But still, I'd like to know either way sooner rather than later as I need to organise work so I can afford to live! :D

The second issue is the Vodafone situation. As yet, it still isn't resolved. I haven't had one answer from any of the FIVE letters I've sent them. Today I sent off a letter to the board member that is responsible for Central Europe. Maybe I'll have some response from him...? The technician was supposed to come today - this is the third appointment in 3 weeks, and didn't, so I still don't have a service. The bill of €800 has been reduced to €240 and I'll have to pay it next month. I'm really not happy about having to pay anything at all to Vodafone. Especially since the internet hasn't been working since December!! (The internet I'm using at the moment is from another provider and it's temporary.) They keep expecting me to pay my monthly rates, though I haven't got anything to pay for. That's hard. I still don't know what God's doing in this situation. But I'm grateful for the friends who have helped and are still helping me. :)

The third thing is church. I have been blessed by the online sermons of Cornerstone Community Church in Simi Valley, CA. I've also started going back to church regularly and since a friend of mine - Emma - used to go there before she left Munich, I already know a lot of people and have made some friends. I wanted to be part of a Bible study, but the early mornings I have mean I'm really tired, but it's only another month before those classes stop, so I could go regularly then. Currently the church is going through 1 John - slowly and in a lot of detail, which is great because it's helpful for me as I try to find a way back to having a relationship with God. The last sermon really challenged me as it was on 1 John 2:7-11. The most challenging parts were verses 9-11. I don't love anyone anymore and it's been a long time since I've realised that that's due to a lack of God's love in me. I am aware though that now I love my family a lot more than I did a few years ago when I was involved with church. Haha! I don't mean anything by that, just that I'm grateful that - it must be God! - that He's started to renew love in me with my family. I never loved them like I do now. I actually miss all of them. Never did before. There are also a few people that I can say I strongly dislike - maybe hate. And that is a sin that I need to repent of and I've already started praying about.

The final issue is tax. I knew I had to pay back the tax I haven't paid for the 2 years I've lived here. I was led to believe that was perfectly legal, but it turns out that it isn't. I already know that I had to pay back €3000, but thought I could do that in installments - it turns out it'll have to be a lump sum, which means I might have to take out a loan. Now, if I don't have any sort of fixed income - i.e. a part-time Kindergarten job - then, it'll be really difficult to get one with a reasonable interest rate. I know it would be easier then just to leave and maybe rent from one of my friends in Glasgow and temp until I find another job, but I feel like God wants me here. Not that He's told me or anything. Just that I have finally come back to "life" and have a church and have some good Christian people that are slowly becoming friends and I find it hard to believe it's just a coincidence and that I should go somewhere else. I don't know. Maybe you can pray that doors would close if I have to leave and doors would open if I am meant to stay...?

Anyway, this has been a much longer post than I intended, but I guess if you don't write for 6 weeks, that's what happens. :) Thanks to those of you are praying for me and have been all this time. I appreciate it all the more now since I'm back in my Father's house. :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

Hiya Stef,
We're so happy to celebrate what God is doing in you! He does some pretty amazing things. We're seeing Him everyday at work in ourselves too.
I really hope all the finances stuff gets worked out - what a burden of stress. God can work through these things too.
We're back in the states 'for good' (however long that lasts). It's been really good to be near to family, but America has confused us a lot through our return too. God's working, I guess. :-)
xx Heather & Joel

s& said...

good to get some updates - I really like the last sentence, God is good, glad you are seeking after Him. YAHWEH bless you. :)

s* said...

(oops, think comment just disappeared, will try to salvage :) )...good to get your updates, and especially like your last sentence. God is good. Glad to hear you are seeking after Him, and He will meet your needs. YAHWEH bless you. :)