October 24, 2010

Idols

I suppose it has dawned on most people that the reason that God speaks out against having idols is because they really destroy your life. When you have one - or two or three - it distracts from the one thing that can satisfy you, i.e. God. Why is it that we have them in the first place? And how do you get to a point where an idol is more important than God?

I'm not so good at remembering Bible verses, but worship songs also help:

Hungry, I come to you for I know you satisfy.
I am empty, but I know your love does not run dry.

AND

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

How do you get rid of an idol? That was what the sermon today was about. First, I should repent and then rejoice in the truth of the Gospel and then rest in God. Those were the basic three points. Wouldn't it be nice if repentance was a one off thing and not something you had to do every day?

It's funny, isn't it, that a simple desire, that in itself is not a bad thing, can slowly turn into an obsession and take over your life? So much so that when that desire is not fulfilled, it's almost like your whole world falls apart around you. Thinking about it, it's so obvious that it's clearly wrong, but how many of us have fallen into that trap?

The key is always the same, isn't it? Pray, and spend time in the word. Get to know God. Recognise his voice. Learn what his will is. Rely on his strength to be able to do it. It's so simple and yet so difficult to do daily.

I want to want God for his sake and not for the blessings. If only it were easy to live every day knowing and believing with your whole heart that because we have God, we already have everything we could possibly want and need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this last paragraph...I am learning this too, as many others get blessed in very obvious ways, and lessons are still coming my way about quietly persevering through difficulties/disappointments, God is reminding me to look to Him and the beautiful fullness of Christ, which transcends circumstances, hopes deferred, broken dreams, difficulties and all earthly things....as Paul says 'the excellency of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord'. Not always easy, but to desire God for Himself and to have the privilege of receiving from Him is a beautiful thing, ultimately the deepest longing of our souls....thanks for sharing your thoughts.