May 28, 2006

FINALLY! I'M HOME!!!

Whew! I'm sooo glad to be home! I've had a horrible time of miscommunication amongst doctors. I felt really sorry for the nurses because they could only do what they could do, but blegh! Seriously, you medics better learn how to communicate and level with your patients. I was sooo fuming at the registrars and the SHOs this time. Well, it's over and hopefully I'll never have chemo again after tomorrow...

I had to stay in hospital for 5 whole days this time because the SHO panicked and thought I was going deaf. Not exactly sure how he came to that conclusion because all I said was there had been a few occassions - no more than 6 - where I'd had a brief ringing in my ears - no more that a few seconds. So, since Cisplatin can damage your hearing, he was all like "aaaaah! Stephanie's going to get permanent hearing damage" and prolonged my treatment by reducing the dosage. Ok Pete, you're going to stick up for him here and say he was just being careful, but it wasn't nice. Especially because he didn't make it clear and let me know exactly what he was going to do and how long I was staying in for. I would have appreciated it if he'd treated me like an intelligent human being like Dr Davis did. Also, I think I am well within my right to be annoyed with doctors with poor communication skills...

Anyway... I've learned a lot about communication over the past few days - what to say when, how to be clear, how to be personable, and just how bad men are at it all. God was right, men really do need women! I've been so impressed by nurses over the last few days as well. People seem to look down on them, but really, they are amazing people with incredible amounts of care, kindness, patience, knowledge, communication skills, strength and smiles. Some doctors are just jobbies. I wish every doctor were like Dr Davis, Dr Burton and Chris Hoy. They just tell you it like it is and help you understand instead of just assuming you won't. Please medics, don't treat all people like they're stupid; give them a chance.

Also, I've found out that Dexamethasone, an anti-sickness medication I was prescribed, is actually more horrible than Bleomycin. My body has apparently gotten used to the Bleomycin because it's not making me feel as ill this time. The Dexamethasone, however, gave me really bad heartburn so I just didn't take it while I was in hospital. Yup, I slyly put it in the bin when my meds were given to me. Anyway, the doctor eventually took me off them, so it was ok. Still I got awful heartburn when I was in hospital because they'd given me it in a drip 3 days in a row and the acid burned all the way up into my mouth so I couldn't even swallow or anything. Fortunately, the nurses were on the ball and got the doctor to prescribe me this tablet that my tummy all nice. No more Dexamethasone for me, thanks very much. It's evil and more so than Bleomycin because at least the Bleomycin makes friends with your body instead of remaining mortal enemies with it. Plus, I feel less sick this time and I really think it's down to the fact that I was off the Dexamethasone because that's the only thing that's different. I don't know...

Well, enough of my disjointed moaning. If you read this before 12pm on 29 May, please pray that I know what God's will is regarding further chemo treatment. I know I'd like it to stop, but I find it difficult to know how to distinguish what God wants in all this because it's not very clear cut. If God wants me to go on one more lot of chemo, I really want to do that wholeheartedly. I just need to hear his voice clearly. So, if you have a chance, please pray so that the right outcome is reached with Dr Reed tomorrow. Thanks.

No comments: