December 07, 2005

Mission

Seeing as I've been hired into this office because they were expecting tons of work and actually there's been none, I've been thinking that it definitely isn't 'coincidence' that has brought me here. To be honest, I just don't believe there's any such thing. I believe firmly in the truth of Rom 8:38; that good or bad God's purposes prevail whether we know the result. We don't need to anyway, since we know that the fulfilment of times reult in Jesus (see Eph 1:9-10)...

Anyway... I would like to have been a witness in some way since I've had no opportunity to explicitly speak to anyone about my faith, Jesus or salvation. They know I go to church and teach sunday school, but that means nothing to them since one of the trainers also goes to church, but swears like there's no tomorrow and is no stranger to drunkenness. I can only pray that in SOME way I have been a light in my actions, if not in my words. I've just started reading 'The Journals of Jim Elliot' and he expresses my longing better than I ever could:

Jan 24, 1948 (Gen 30) - My cry is Rachel's this morning, "Give me children, or I die" (v.1). Lord, I long to be reproducing Christ in other men, and I wonder if because Thou hast favoured me naturally, as Thou didst Rachel, somehow You have seen best to withhold fruit. "Judge me and hear my voice" (v.6). Take away my reproach, Lord, I would bear a Joseph."

Help me, Lord, I hunger for the labour that bears much fruit.

(I highly recommend any book on Jim Elliot if you are seriously considering mission, whether here or abroad.)

No comments: