April 18, 2006

It's nearly 6 in the morning...

Hello! Yes, it is nearly six, but I just had to get up half an hour ago and have something to eat otherwise I was going to be sick. Chemo's so weird! It simultaneously makes you nauseated and hungry. Incidentally, after anti-sickness tablets, eating seems to be an effective way of getting rid of nausea. Plus, you get sooooo hungry!! Really CRAZY hungry! In fact, though I've actually just recovered from a stomach bug, all I've been thinking about since I got home was food. And food I wouldn't normally eat all the time like chip butties, double cheeseburgers, blueberry pancakes, pizzas, my friend Danielle's aubergine bake.... Mmmmmmmm.... I've just had some tea and toast, but all that talk about food is making me even more hungry!

Seriously, I had the most horrible weekend with vomiting and diarrheoa and all I could think of inbetween was food! You have no idea how weird that was. I felt sooooo ill but I couldn't take my mind off it. I think part of it was because I've got to be so careful with what I eat now, but still. It was bizarre. In fact, it still is... Oh, fortunately the vomiting and diarrheoa were not the effect of chemotherapy but a stomach bug that only lasted 24 hours. Phew! Ok, so it was really terrible, but at least it won't happen again. I was beginning to wonder what Dr Reed meant by 'breezing through chemo'. But he assured me that you only got one or the other and it only happens within 36 hours of the beginning of treatment, so he's pretty confident it won't happen again. What a relief!

Also, biscuits are not evil at all. Boys still are, but biscuits might just become my new best friends. They also are a very good anti-sickness remedy. Plain digestives, hobnobs and rich teas - possibly ginger snaps - are brilliant! I'm so glad they're in the world. :-)

I think I'm so hungry this morning because I haven't eaten very much all weekend, seeing as how whatever went in very quickly made it's way out again. And I was sick again yesterday just before I got my Bleomycin jag. I have no idea why, but the moment I saw the needle, I felt all dizzy and light-headed. My head was swimming and I got really hot, so I sat down by the window, but instead of getting better, I started to feel worse and had to throw up. It was so strange! I was totally fine a couple of hours earlier when they'd taken blood, but for some reason, this needle made me sick. Anyway, once I'd finally recovered enough, I got my lovely intra-muscular jag, which wasn't all that sore and it was fine. I did, however, feel really faint and horrible so when I came home, I just had some water and went to bed. I couldn't eat very much for tea either and was completely knocked out till 11.30pm when I had a glass of milk and a bit of flapjack. So, all in all, I feel that my overwhelming hunger at 5.30am is perfectly justified.

Hmmm... Well, it's now nearly 6.30am so I'm going to go. I think I might have some cereal... Still got a gap to fill...

1 comment:

lil stef said...

I don't think anyone could survive without a sense of humour. I think that's why God gave it to us. :-)

I wonder if I'll ever have bluberry pancakes...