April 14, 2006

Numero Uno

Well, I now understand what the big deal about chemotherapy is. It's actually quite awful. The first couple of drugs were fine. I felt a bit sick, but otheriwse still the same ol' Steph. But from Tuesday night into a lot of Wednesday, I had a horrible drug called Bleomycin, which has left me felling really quite sick, tired and very, very worn out. I'm not very much like Steph at all and my mum's quite worried. Still, I know I'm in there somewhere, I'm just recoiling from the nasty, nasty drugs. Blegh!

I also have really bad heartburn. It doesn't seem to want to go away, but the chemo drugs affect the digestive system, so I guess it's just one of the many side effects. I've spent a lot of the time since I've been home in bed, so I hope it'll do me some good. Not really up to doing much else at the moment.

Oh, I am definitely going to lose my hair, so that's an irrational worry out the way. :-) I start losing it in clumps from next week onwards. Plus, I got a form to get a wig for free while I was in, so once my immune system is on the up again, I might just venture into town and get myself one. It really is quite cold having such short hair, so it'll keep me warm and make me feel less conspicuous.

The good thing is that I only have 3 more to go. A lady in the ward has another 12! Eugh! Well, she has lung cancer and I suppose her regime is totally different, but still. I don't think I could cope with another 12. Oh my goodness! Dr Reed made mine quite intensive cos I'm so young, so I guess I should be thankful cos it'll be over more quickly.

It really is quite horrible, so I hope none of you ever have to go through it. I guess I'm also a little thankful that Dr Reed is putting me through it now so it's over and done with. Phew!

Well, I'm going to go. Will keep you updated on how I'm feeling.

No comments: