April 24, 2006

Sunday

I had a really nice day today. Marji and I had a fancy lunch at Bouzy Rouge cos I decided to treat myself. It was scrumptious and we had a really good chat about stuff. It's nice to have days like that. :-) But the best thing about today was the sermon at church. I swear, the more I learn about God, the more I can't help but love him.

The sermon was on Genesis 5 - we're going through the book of Genesis, you see. It's a genealogy from Adam to Noah, focussing particularly on getting to Noah so tons of folk are missed out. Now you may ask, how can a someone get a sermon from a geneaology? Well, Matt, my pastor, looked at the meanings of the names in the geneaology seeing as in the past, names were given because of what they meant and not just cos they sounded nice. This happens loads in the Old Testament, so you may have already figured out for yourselves.... Anyway, look what the names mean and what it spells out:

Adam - Man
Seth - Appointed
Enosh - Mortal
Kenan - Sorrow
Mehalel - The blessed God
Jared - Shall come down
Enoch - Teaching
Methuselah - His death shall bring
Lamech - The despairing
Noah - Rest and comfort.

It all reads: Man appointed mortal sorrow. The blessed God shall come down teaching his death shall bring the despairing rest and comfort. Coincidence? I think not!! How about that? Even a geneaology points to Jesus! Amazing! You can check the names out for yourselves in Hitchcock's Bible Names dictionary.

There was also a bit about Enoch, Methuselah, the flood and God's mercy, but it's way too complicated for me to write about here. Plus, it would just be too long, but if you want to ask, I'll try and explain, or I could just get a CD of the sermon for you. :-)

I've been so struck by God's mercy, his grace and his long-suffering over the last couple of days anyway. He's so desperate to know us and to save us that he's even going to send angels to evangelise during the great tribulation! (Rev 14.6-16) Even while pouring out his wrath, he still will offer a chance to repent and know him!! Amazing grace indeed! I can't take it in...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, i'm so pleased i stopped off to read this stuff... thanks! where do we hear this sermon???

lil stef said...

I can get a CD of it for you. Or in a couple of weeks, you'll be able to hear it on the calvary glasgow website, which I can't remember... But I could get it for you all the same. Just let me know. :-)